No, this blog entry isnt about excuses. Aside from being busy with other projects, I’ve hit roadblocks with the current graphics programming ones. This is what I get for trying too many things at once. I think this is good because my previous posts usually show the end product of whatever project I undertake and not the struggle to get there. I think I should do this more often.
It’s been a while since I’ve been stuck like this. Despite my many numerous (hilarious) attempts i’m still failing. I’ve done this like a million times before, why cant I get this right??!!
It get’s as ridiculous as this:
A Websocket Game
What started out as a small websocket test using node.js has now turned into a game idea that I want to pursue. The basic idea of the game is this: shoot zombies with friends, try to get a high score than them. Simple and fun. The current issue I’m facing is getting the players to be positioned consistently on each device. I have tried several techniques already; each have their own downsides. I do however feel that I’m close to a good solution for the issue.
Here’s a screenshot of what I have so far.
Realtime Global Illumination
I’ve been looking at Geomeric’s not-so-secret formula for their realtime global illumination middleware, Enlighten. I found it strange that there aren’t any open source alternatives as yet seeing that they seem to be showing off the inner workings of their tool every chance they get. Maybe they have a patent on their implementation. I’ll have to do some more research on that.
Here’s a link to a recent article talking about it’s implementation in Unity 5: http://blogs.unity3d.com/2014/09/18/global-illumination-in-unity-5/
Based on what I’ve seen in the numerous presentations, the first step is lightmapping which I’ve already completed. I have Blender’s Suzanne completely lit on the CPU.
I had to do a bit of extra work to remove the seams that occurs at the edge of uv islands. The next step is performing secondary light bounces. I should have that in by next week.
DragonScript is almost at a state at which I can use it to make a game. It needs if statements, loops (only while loops at the moment) and a garbage collector to meet the requirements of a version 0.1.
I’m also in the middle of an SSAO implementation and I’m adding point lights to my deferred renderer.